ÜVR

Two years ago I made a blog post about easy lucid dreaming. 
Check it here!
Now I don't know how metal you have to be to want to experience lucid dreaming as most of the times, as you notice the reality around you get distorted, the only pervading emotion left for you to feel is fear. 
That is exactly what happened to me this afternoon. 
I haven't been getting much quality sleep since the semester started, even if I go to bed say around 11:30 pm and wake up around 7 am. I always seem to have a hard time drifting off to dreamland, and I also always wake up with a terrible headache, the kind you get when you try to desperately sneak in five more minutes of sleep only to be woken up in what felt like only five seconds. Of course as the day goes on my headache only gets worse because of academics and the heat haze. Yes, there's always a tropical storm warning but the sun is always out doing its very best to completely dehydrate and maybe suck out the very soul of every living being - friggin' hot light ball. 

Anyway in an attempt to rid myself of the invisible blight drilling on my body's control room I sometimes take a nap during my free time every Tuesdays and Thursdays. Most of those naps were pretty much empty - meaning dreamless - and merely losing efforts in warding off my headache. But not this afternoon. This afternoon it felt like a horror movie just shot itself live in my room as I slept.
Before going to sleep this afternoon I ate a piece of mooncake and drank a mug of milk. My mom always told me to never sleep after just eating but I was just feeling rebellious this afternoon so for once I disregarded that warning. 
I went under around 4:30 and set my alarm to go off at 6:30. That's two hours of what I hoped to be the panacea to my sleeplessness. I heard the university alarm (what we call the 'wang wang) go off as I struggled to drift off. So thirty painful minutes of that two hours went to screaming internally and writhing in figurative pain. After that the residents of the adjacent room kept hitting the damn wall connecting us as if deliberately keeping me from travelling to the sleeping side of reality. I don't know how long they kept doing it or if they ever stopped doing it but the next thing I knew my room was midnight-blue dark and someone was using my laptop. 

Oh holy runies, here we go. Seriously why can't lucid dreams just take on a peaceful setting like Salar de Uyuni? Now that I totally dig.
source
I clearly heard a voice speaking out from the speakers of my laptop and it was a very unpleasant voice. It was a deep, dark and rough voice spouting a language I have a hard time understanding. I couldn't make up some of the words but I do remember the words 'child', 'take', and 'sinful' - or maybe the words were close to those. As the voice kept speaking I felt something heavy resting on my body, its weight continuously increasing. I couldn't move, but I could "see" my room. I could see my study table, my chair, and the sink. It was still dark and nothing was actually inside the room, nothing was moving but it still felt like someone was there watching me, something heavy resting on my body and someone else using my laptop. The voice gave me chills and as that "someone" or "something" resting on my body's weight kept increasing my heart kept pounding harder than the last. For that instance as I was dreaming it all felt like reality. A distorted kind of reality where the deep and dark fantasies from my mind came to life. The most disturbing part of it all was that I couldn't control it. It was all in my head, yet it ended up manipulating me into feeling such an unpleasant kind of fear. 
I "woke up" in the dream realizing that everything was just a "nightmare". The lights were switched on but a few things were missing like my electric fan. I stood up and held my Hinata plushy noticing that she has two layers of her hood on. I took the two off and her hair changed to match Naruto's spiky-do with Touwa Erio's hair color. After that I woke up for real drenched in cold sweat. My mind kinda processed things slowly by the time I woke up taking in the current state of my room as well as convincing myself that the nightmare I had was a nightmare within a dream. There's no one else in the room but me, there's no weight resting on my body, and my laptop is switched off. Still it took me a few seconds to move my partially trembling body because I half expected that something was going to lunge at me even with the slightest of movement.
When I finally remembered how human arms functioned I checked the time on my cellphone, 6:08 pm, I still had 22 minutes before the alarm goes off. I wanted to get up right there but instead of feeling well rested my body actually felt tired. And instead of feeling something heavy resting on top of me, this time my body felt heavy. With the 22 minutes left to my supposed quality nap time I still managed to drift off and still ended up being fully aroused by my alarm - the Star Wars theme song by the great John Williams.

It's been a long time since I had a vivid dream or experienced lucid dreaming. I'm sure what I had earlier was indeed lucid dreaming. My body feeling unresponsive and something heavy resting on it is most likely sleep paralysis. The nightmare within the dream was a terrible reminder that not all dreams experienced during lucid dreaming makes you feel the Deus ex Machina of your own distorted world. I just felt helpless and weak unable to do something inside the confines of my own imagination.

Well look on the bright side lucid dreaming is a lot like hyper-immersive uber visual reality, UVR! You don't need any visors and haptic gloves to get away from reality. The downside is that you're literally powerless inside unless time allows you to take control of it. Even with that kind of nightmare I actually look forward to taking a nap on Thursday afternoon. I'm not entirely sure if I can replicate my trip back to lucid land since I'm out of mooncakes.

Comments