The Persistence of Nightmares

If you're like me who spent most of his childhood locked away in one corner of the house watching cartoons on repeat, then you're most likely familiar with this painting:
The Persistence of Memory by surrealist painter Salvador Dali

From what I've read in the grand archives known as Google, the inspiration for the painting stemmed from Dali forcing himself to remember his dreams whenever he is in the brink of sleep. Thus the 'persistence of memory'. The desire to remember what is not there to begin with, the desire to remember your own unconscious thought, the fantasy inside the mind. Or I could be wrong, which in turn makes Google wrong, which, in the grand scheme of it all, makes about half of all the homework done over the past years wrong. Yeah.
That painting, along with The Scream, Mona Lisa and other famous paintings found in high school text books are usually the subject of parodies in some episode of cartoons way back from the late 1900s and early 2000s.

Anyway in a completely unrelated topic, the semester is ending, my sleep pattern is way off of Earth's orbit, and I feel like total *yes exactly that word that you're thinking right now*. I've been subject to this mental trial of pain and torture for three years now you'd think I should be used to it but no, it's a different kind of slow descent to insanity each time. This time around, while I still managed to keep a relaxed pace at the beginning, the onslaught of deadlines has likely killed off the remaining versions of me from other dimensions. I am the last remaining Inukami. I am the alpha.
See, told you. Insanity.

To top it all off I have recurring nightmares that, ironically enough, I remember quite well unlike the better dreams I rarely have that involves saving a girl from who knows what and experiencing my first kiss for the 248th time. These nightmares aren't the kind that crawled out of some fiery hole, though, these are worse.

The most recent nightmare I had was my laptop, the one I use for programming my projects, the one with all the important files, the one with all the pictures of my waifus, the one that's lived past its life expectancy, got corrupted. Oh, goddesses. I shudder at the mere thought of it. Imagine coding for hours that my butt almost married my chair only for a project and all other files to just get wiped away clean, and the only thing present at the monitor is a yellow hazard triangle with a black exclamation point in the middle.

Thankfully, or perhaps not thankfully, that's not the worst nightmare I've ever had. Believe it or not my worst nightmare, and I mean the worst ever, happened when I was in high school. I stayed home because I had a slight fever and way back then a slight fever constituted to something bad when it comes to me because I'm probably as sickly as Ushio back then and we still weren't sure if I still had asthma. Anyway, that afternoon I had a nightmare so bad that when I woke up, instead of feeling relieved or just remotely better my fever went up a notch. Who knew nightmares could actually make you feel so devastated that sleeping seemed like a trip to the darkest basement of a cabin in the remotest woods.

And to this day I still remember that nightmare like a boss fight I never succeeded on winning. Hopefully, this semester ends just as how my previous semesters ended - me going home feeling slightly less like Joker and more like Batman.

Comments